Quick Answer: Is There Mercury In Lights?

Quick Answer: Is There Mercury In Lights?

Some energy-saving light bulbs contain a tiny amount of mercury, sealed inside the bulb.

In one bulb, there’s usually less than 4mg (about enough to cover the tip of a ballpoint pen).

Fluorescent light strips or tubes, such as those sometimes used in kitchens and garages, also contain small amounts of mercury.

Can mercury in a light bulb kill you?

For a conventional lightbulb I think the biggest risk is the heat output – they get pretty hot so touching them is pretty dangerous. I agree, a light bulb is unlikely to do you any harm. It is recommended that you leave a room for 5 minutes if you break an energy saving bulb, while the mercury in the air disperses.

Is there mercury in LED lights?

Indeed, LED (light emitting diode) lighting does seem to be the wave of the future right now, given the mercury content and light quality issues with the current king-of-the-hill of green bulbs, the compact fluorescent (CFL). LEDs use significantly less energy than even CFLs, and do not contain mercury.

Are light bulbs still made with mercury?

Manufacturers of fluorescent lighting products are working to reduce the amount of mercury content in CFLs. No mercury is released when the bulbs are intact (i.e., not broken) or in use, but mercury vapor and very small beads of mercury can be released when a CFL is broken.

How much mercury is in a light bulb?

A mercury thermometer may contain about 500 mg of mercury. About 500 mg to 700 mg or less of mercury is considered a small spill. Some CFLs may contain as little as 1.4 mg to 2.5 mg per light bulb. The mercury in a CFL is not visible.

Photo in the article by “Wikipedia” https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sodium-vapor_lamp