Quick Answer: Does UV Light Kill Fungus?

Quick Answer: Does UV Light Kill Fungus?

As a treatment for toenail fungus uv light is seldom, if ever used.

At home, simply exposing shoes and socks to normal daylight, which includes ultraviolet wavelengths, may help kill off lingering fungal elements from fungal nail infections.

Ultraviolet light is harmful or lethal to many forms of life.

Does UV light kill fungal spores?

Unfortunately, not all mold spores will be eliminated by surface cleaning. In these cases, ultra-violet (UV) lamps are effective in killing mold and mold spores. UV-C lamps, which provide UV light on the C-bandwidth) are best for dealing with mold problems, as other types of UV light don’t damage the mold enough.

Does UV light kill fungus in shoes?

The Ache: Shoes are a fertile breeding ground for microorganisms that cause infections such as athlete’s foot. The Claim: Ultraviolet sanitizers can rid your shoes of infection-causing fungi and eliminate bacteria that make them smell bad. Ultraviolet light is an accepted way of killing microorganisms, scientists say.

Does UV light kill athlete’s foot?

In only one 45 minute treatment, you can destroy 99.9% of the microorganisms in shoes, including the fungi that cause toenail fungus and athlete’s foot. After the treatment is complete, the germicidal UV light turns off and the SteriShoe shoe sanitizer functions as a shoe tree.

How long does it take for UV light to kill mold?

The UV-C is the active part of the light; it has been shown to kill 99.9 percent of the molds over a one to two hours period.

Photo in the article by “Wikipedia” https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fungus