Alarms Help Deter Burglars
We can go straight to the burglars themselves.
The majority (60%) of the burglars in the study said they would look for an alarm before robbing a house, and if an alarm system were present, most would move along to another target.
How do you deter burglars?
How To Deter Burglars From Targeting Your House
- Have top quality door locks and window locks installed.
- High-end burglar alarms are a definite must.
- Keep your door locks and alarm bell box clean.
- Use external motion sensor lights.
- Use indoor lights on a timer.
- Visible CCTV security cameras are one of the best burglar deterrents.
Do motion sensor lights deter burglars?
Although motion sensor lights might prevent some burglaries, they can also end up helping the burglar. Criminal justice expert Marcus Felson says that lights can help criminals by allowing them to see. .
Do dogs deter burglars?
Dogs Deter (Some) Burglars
But, a dog can be the first line of defense by making your home undesirable. An Idaho news station asked 86 burglars how they break in to homes and learned that most would avoid houses with loud, large dogs. The bigger the dog, the bigger the deterrent.